Gmail is a well-known application among users, since it is the one that many people use to send and receive emails on a daily basis. But it can also be used for other tasks like voice or video calls, as we will see later.
Although we have used the Gmail application on our mobile device as the main tool for sending and receiving emails, the truth is that it can have other types of possibilities that are also extremely interesting.
We already know all its virtues as our favorite program to manage all the emails that arrive and that we send, having a good number of faculties in this sense, working really very well, especially when there is a high volume reception and transmission of e-mails.
Well, we are also talking about an application that allows us to make voice or video calls to any other person, a colleague, a family member or a friend, to give you some examples.
This is a service that is offered through the program’s built-in chat function, and can even call a mobile, landline or VOIP number, in addition to the calls and video calls we have already discussed.
We can find all this in the Gmail application which is valid for both phones with the operating system Android or iPhonewhich have iOS as their main operating software, as you well know.
Another positive thing is that not only will it serve us as strict video calls, but we will also be able to apply effects, backgrounds or filters to it to what we stream, something that will give a touch of personalization and a more fun aspect to the video.
This voice and video call feature is available for Google Workspace, G Suite, and personal Google accounts. Be able to perform individual calls, but no group.
If we want to perform this type of calls, we must use Google Meet, an application accessible from Gmail, although it requires that a link to the meeting be sent to other participants.
This shows that it is faster to make direct calls or video calls than those that include multiple people.
Voice calls and video calls with Gmail
If we want to use the Gmail application to make voice or video calls, the first thing we will have to do is download the application for our operating system.
Users who have Android on their terminal will almost certainly already have it installed, but if not, it can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.
If we have a device with iOS or iPadOS, we can also install it from the Apple Store.
Once we have it on our smartphone or tablet, it’s time to find out how we can use it to have voice or video calls with whoever we want.
The steps to be carried out are as follows:
- The first thing we need to do is open app and activate the chat icon if we do not see it in the lower toolbar.
- To do this, we touch the icon of the three vertical stripes at the top left and immediately select Settings.
- At this time we click on the account in which we want to activate the Gmail chat.
- Now we look for the tab that says General.
- Once we find it we will see that it appears as the first option discusswhen we need to activate Show chat tab and spaces.
- When we have done this, we must return to the main screen of Gmail and observe that we have the cat icon at the bottom with an image of a speech bubble.
- If we touch this icon, the first thing that will ask permission to handle calls.
- Once you have the appropriate permissions, if we want to call someone and we do not have a history, as would be normal, we will have to click on new cat.
- We just have to write the name or email address of the person we want to call.
- The contact screen shows a phone icon and a camera icon at the top.
- We touch the phone icon to make an audio call. By the time the other person answers, everything will be just like when we make a lifetime call.
- As soon as we are done, to hang up we must click on the red button and Gmail will immediately ask us to rate the quality of the call.
- If we want to run a video call, we have to tap the camera icon.
- Once the other person has answered, the two can see each other and talk directly from each of the terminals.
- But not only can we do it, but if we click on the button with three vertical dots at the bottom right of the screen, we can access other options, such as the exchange messages, share the screen or show captions.
- You can also give it a touch of originality and click on the Effects icon on the thumbnail of the video we are broadcasting. From there we can apply background images, filters or other effects to the broadcast of our video. We will be able to explore the different effects they offer us, to select the one we like the most for that precise moment.
As you can see, Gmail is not only used to manage all our emails, but it will also be useful for making calls and videoconferences with colleagues, friends or family.
It is extremely interesting to have another alternative to perform video calls, something that has become very fashionable after the pandemic that we have all had to suffer, because both in work and in personal relationships it was the thing closest to having the rest of the people next to us.
Gmail joins other applications such as WhatsApp, Telegram, FaceTime, Skype, Zoom or Jitsi to offer the user another way to make voice calls or use video to communicate between people.
You can tell us on our social networks what you think of this Gmail function. We want to know if you knew it, if you are going to use it or, if you have already tried it, what were your feelings and experience.